Can someone just decide to change their mind on a signed contract?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone just decide to change their mind on a signed contract?

I signed a contract 3 years ago with my employer to purchase 1/2 of her

business. I have followed the contract and have paid over $36,000 of the 62k she has charged. Since we can’t agree on something she has trashed me verbally and decided she doesn’t want to do the agreement anymore. Can she do this?

Asked on June 20, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, someone cannot just "change their mind" on a contract. A contract is a legally enforceable (that is something you can enforce in court if need be, by a lawsuit) agreement; both parties are held to it. As long as you have honored your own obligations, she is in turn required to honor hers. If she will not, you could sue her for "breach of contract" and seek either monetary compensation (e.g. a return of the money you paid and possibly additional compensation, too) or a court order compellng her to go through with the sale as contracted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption