Can someone from japan file a lawsuit against me in the United States?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone from japan file a lawsuit against me in the United States?

I made a YouTube video critiquing a certain anime, I do believe my video is
protected by Fair Use as I, the video, and youtube are all in the united states
where Fair Use has jurisdiction. However, it has been copyright claimed by a
japanese company. Are they able to sue me if I try to put my video back up?

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, someone in another country may file a lawsuit against you in the United States, since a U.S. court in your country or state would have jurisdication (power) over you. To bring a viable lawsuit, your action would have to be illegal under U.S. law or under a foreign law which we recognize.
"Fair use" is MUCH narrower than most people believe. Even for reviews, critiques, satires, you can generally only use small or short snippets or portions of the copyrighted material. If you used a substantial portion of the video, then even as a review or critique, you may have violated copyright.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption