Can someone be fined or even face jail time for telling me to go kill myself

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone be fined or even face jail time for telling me to go kill myself

There is this not so nice person who
told me to go kill myself after I was
able to prove that she can’t get me
fired. Can I do something about that? I
live in utah

Asked on March 21, 2016 under Personal Injury, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it is NOT a crime to tell someone to go kill themself--it's simply not anything prohibited by law. Anyone can say any cruel or immature thing they like to anyone else. She can't threaten that *she* will kill you, but that is a very different statement and situation.
It's also not anything you can sue over, both because the other person has a right to do this and because you are not injured by it other than hurt feelings or being upset--but there is no compensation for hurt feelings or being upset.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption