Can police refuse to give a summons to a truck driver who hit a car in a parking lot and then left the scene?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can police refuse to give a summons to a truck driver who hit a car in a parking lot and then left the scene?

Accident happened on a parking lot; my car was parked. Police argued that it was reasonable that a tractor trailor left the scene of an accident after I had stopped him to inform him. He apologized, claiming that he’d pull over. He instead left the lot and drove 7/10 mile onto a highway entrance ramp. I fled after him and called 911. Finally he pulled over when he realized. Police say they can’t give a summons because it was on private property. $3-4K damage to my BMW. Didn’t cite him at all. Instead threatened to arrest me when I insisted on getting their names, and they refused, and I took a picture of them. I am female. Did they act properly?

Asked on August 23, 2010 under Accident Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, I would not say that from the way you described the events that anyone acted properly.   As for issuance of the summons, that may be a local law.  But did they at least take a report?  That they are obligated to do.  And yes, they are obligated to give you their names (were they wearing name tags?).  Did you get the insurance information in the end?  Did you report the claim?  Report it to your insurance company.  And go to the police station that would have jurisdiction over where the accident happened and make a police report if there is none.  And speak with an attorney about filing a complaint.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption