Can police come pick up a 17 year old minor at their home and not let their parent come along?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can police come pick up a 17 year old minor at their home and not let their parent come along?

The police came to my house to question my son. They wanted to take him to the station. When Isaid I’m coming along they said I couldn’t. Isn’t there a law against that? If he is not placed under an arrest then a parent should be there right?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Seems like they asked him to come.  That said he had a choice.  That means he did not have to come.  If he said, "I am not coming unless my mom comes," that would be different. Or, you said I am not letting you take my son, for all intensive purposes they couldn't. 

That said, if they arrest him, then they can take him without your permission.  Sounds like they were investigating a crime and were not being honest with you. I suspect they wanted to interrogated him without you being present. 

Most states have an age in which a person can waive their Miranda Rights without their parents prensent.  Usually around 14 years of age.

Hope this helps.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption