can person in charge of custodial fund be changed if misusing funds

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can person in charge of custodial fund be changed if misusing funds

I am 19 years old and recently moved out on my own but my father who is in charge of my custodial fund is using money from the account to pay his rent etc. Can I change who is in charge or could money be placed in escrow at bank until i am 21? How can I press charges on him for using my money?
Thank You

Asked on October 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to go and have him removed as the Fiduciary of the account for a breach of his duty to you.  If the fund was created via a Probate Court proceeding (you were left money) you may need to reopen the proceeding to make a motion to the court to allow you to be in charge or just remove him.  As for the criminality you would need to seek help from an attorney and possibly the Prosecturo of your town.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption