Can people try to collect from an estate that was settled 3 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can people try to collect from an estate that was settled 3 years ago?

My sister died 3 years ago and I was executor. We went through probate and had something filed in the newspaper about anyone collecting debt, etc. I just received a bill from the ambulance people after 3 years. They say I have 5 days to pay or it will affect my credit. What do I do? Can they do this? The estate was settled long ago.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

How can it affect your credit?  Isn't it your sister's name on the bill?  Generally speaking, if you followed procedure properly and gave proper notice then they are precluded from collecting. Tell them that plain and simple and if they attempt to place any dunning notice in your name you will take legal action against them .  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption