Can our landlady ask us to leave before the end of the lease?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can our landlady ask us to leave before the end of the lease?

We live in a rental house where the lease expires Aug 31.Our landlady says that if we do not move out by the 29th then we are responsible for the rent on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd while she has the carpets cleaned. Is this legal?

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. If your lease expires on the 31st, then you have possession until the 31st and do not need to leave earlier; it's her problem, not yours, how to get the carpet cleaned after that, and she may not charge you for rent for not leaving earlier than your last lease day.

She is free to offer you some incentive (e.g. money) to leave earlier if it's worth it to her, but it would be up to you whether to accept or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption