Can one trustee hold up the sale of property if the others agree on a sale price?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can one trustee hold up the sale of property if the others agree on a sale price?

Property that was recently inherited by 4 siblings; 3 want to sell but 1 one doesn’t. Can the 1 stop the sale by refusing to sign sale documents?

Asked on December 31, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if real property is in the name of the trust or deceased person where there are four beneficiaries as to this real proeprty, the sale of the parcel could be held up by the one hold out. Likewise, if title is in the name of all four beneficiaries, the hold up can be even longer.

Assuming title is not yet in the name of the beneficiaries, then there could be a petition to the court for the court order of the sale of the property or have the one hold out buy out the other parties' interests in the property.

I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney about your current situation and the best way to resolve the impasse that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption