If I cannot afford to pay a judgment against me, now what happens?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I cannot afford to pay a judgment against me, now what happens?

I am sued for $19,000 in a judgement but I can barely pay my bills and survive as it is. I rent an apartment and have no valuables. What happens now since I have no money to pay it with?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is just a judgment without an order to pay by a certain date, the creditor will have several avenues of collection, including wage garnishment, asset seizure, and bank liens.  You might consider consulting with a bankruptcy attorney.  Judgments last for years.  Therefore, even if you cannot pay now, you might have assets in the future that may be subject to liens and levies. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption