Can my wife rent our home without my consent?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife rent our home without my consent?

My wife and I are going to get a divorce. She plains to get apartment and has told me that I need to go to a friend or parents’ home. She has all these people coming to the house trying to rent it. She feels that she pays the bills so she has the power to kick me out and rent the house. We have been married almost 4 years and have had the home for 3 years.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, she can not rent it with out your consent.  Aslong as you are both the legal owners of the home you as well as she have to sign any lease agreement with a prospective tenant.  And she can  not force you out of the house.  She can, of course, ask the court to have exclusive occupancy during the divorce and then try and rent it. But if you know that this would be her intention you could raise the issue during her application.  And I would seek to obtain half of the rental income as well.  I would speak with an attorney because in the abstract here it is hard to know what is what.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption