Can my wife qualify for SNAP if she lives at her own place but isnt legally separated from me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife qualify for SNAP if she lives at her own place but isnt legally separated from me?

My family had to move out of a house we could no
longer afford and after a heated argument my wife
decided to get her own place and take our daughter
with her. I moved into a new house and Im asking
her to move in with me and work on the marriage.
She said she is going to file for divorce but she has
done nothing. She said she is going to apply for
assistance but Im not sure she can do that since we
both earn a good income and we arent even legally
separated. Can she?

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Family Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you're not legally separated or divorced, your income will be considered along with her own (since spouses are expected to help/support each other, and SNAP (and other government assistance, like housing subsidies) looks at family income, not just the individuals) which may well push her over the income limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption