Can my supervisor grab me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my supervisor grab me?

Recently, my supervisor became upset during a conversation, and grab me twice to pull me out of my chair. I asked after the first time not to touch me in that manner again, then she did it again. I have an email from her apologizing for grabbing me, can she do this?

Asked on November 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The supervisor cannot grab you and pull you out of your chair.
You can sue the supervisor for assault and battery.
Assault is intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery without consent or legal privilege.
Battery is the actual physical contact.  Battery is the intentional harmful or offensive touching of another person without consent or legal privilege.
Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal.  The civil and criminal cases proceed independently of each other.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption