Can my spouse be liable for my student loans and medical bills?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my spouse be liable for my student loans and medical bills?

I am filing for divorce. Can I put my student loans as well as medical bills unpaid on our kids as his debt to pay? They are listed on my credit report.

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Community debts are normally divided equally between spouses upon divorce. However, in terms student loans state laws vary. Normally, if the loan is just for your benefit and it was incurred not too long ago, or your spouse did not take loan himself, then it will be your responsibility to pay the loan. For medical bills, if the injuryh happened during marriage, then it will be shared between you and him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption