can my sons probation officer just walk into my home without my even opening the door

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my sons probation officer just walk into my home without my even opening the door

probation officer came to my house rang the bell, I saw threw the glass who it was so i went to get my son to answer the door, we met him in the hallway of my house he had just walked into my home

Asked on June 23, 2009 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your son lives with you, it's possible that this would not be considered unlawful.  I'm not an Arizona attorney, and the law does differ somewhat, from one state to another.  Probation officers have quite a bit of power, and since this is an alternative to jail, not all of the usual civil rights are available to your son.

For advice that you can rely on, you need to talk to a local attorney, and give him or her all of the facts.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

Locking your door probably does make a difference;  if the officer is merely opening an unlocked door, it very well might not be considered a forced entry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption