Can my son, who has disabilites, be denied a field trip since my husband cannot attend?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son, who has disabilites, be denied a field trip since my husband cannot attend?

My son is in the voluntary preschool program (main streamed with his IEP, this is that plan for the regular school year). They have a field trip tomorrow and his teacher told my husband that since my husband can’t chaperone our son will need to stay home because of his disability. This isn’t possible since I’m out of town and my husband is active duty mitlitary. Is this allowed? Should we be contacting more than just the principal? My husband has a meeting with. The schools princpal in less than an hour any help with state law.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry and I hope that the meeting went well.  Going forward you need to understand that you have to advocate for his IEP and make sure that there is a change that the school district provide an aide for him especially for these type of situations.  The fact that he is mainstreamed does not mean you or he have to give up any rights.  Please seek legal help.  Maybe a conversation about having the school district pay for private placement where they could handle this better will prompt your school district to re-think things.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption