Can my son get his record sealed or expunged if he received a misdemeanor for larceny?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son get his record sealed or expunged if he received a misdemeanor for larceny?

My son got charged with larceny when he was yrs old and received a misdemeanor for it. He has had difficulty finding jobs because this is still on his record. He is now yrs and has not committed any crimes since. is there anything he can do to get his record sealed?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Possibly your son may be a candidate for a petition to expunge his prior misdemeanor conviction. He should consult with a criminal defense attorney as to the chances of success and cost. The court looks at the type of conviction, how long ago it was, what the person convicted has done with his or her life since and the reasons why the expungement is sought.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption