Can my son get his money back from a small dealer after he found out the car is unsafe?

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son get his money back from a small dealer after he found out the car is unsafe?

My son bought a rebuilt title car 5 months ago from a small dealer. He recently took it to another dealership to have a repair done on the car. They said they wouldn’t fix it because it was unsafe to drive. They said the frame was bent and the motor mounts were twisted. They said the engine could fall out. Of course he was told at the time he purchased it that everything was fixed. Does he have any recourse to get his money back? Re-built car title.

Asked on September 23, 2010 under General Practice, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would really seek out legal counsel in your area with help in this matter.  This is really not alemon law issue.  I think that it is bigger than that.  I think it is fraud issue and you should speak with the state attorney general's office as well.  It sounds as if the car was a salvage of sorts and in order to get the title to be changed in many states the requirements are very specific and strict about doing so.  Plus there are issues as to the safety of the vehicle.  That may come under a whole other series of laws that they are violating.  So yes, you should have recourse and you should pursue it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption