Can my son apply for citizenship?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son apply for citizenship?

My son has been a green card holder since 2012. He was 14 when he got a green
card. Most of the time fro 6 months to 11 months he stayed outside the US with
me, his mother in the republic of Georgia. Now he is 18 and has lived in America
for a year.He is graduating a high school and also became a student. Please, tell
me please when he can apply for citizenship?

Asked on May 22, 2017 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Assuming he did not lose the green card status due to abandonment (if he was outside the US for too long), he will need to be in the US for at least another 1.5 years (2.5 years total physical presence) before he is eligible to apply for naturalization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption