Can my sisters husband be my affidavit of support?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my sisters husband be my affidavit of support?

Iam currently unemployed and I’m
petitioning for my spouse. My sisters
husband lives with his wife two children
and his father. He is the only person
working in that family. He earns upto
45000 annually. Can he be my affidavit
of support?

Asked on February 10, 2019 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, anyone who is a US citizen or a US green card holder can act as a sponsor for affidavit of support purposes.  However, the income that person is deriving or a combination of income and assets must be sufficient to act as a sponsor.  It sounds like this would be for a household of 6 (your sister's family plus your husband who is the beneficiary) and the federal poverty guidelines indicate an annual income of $42175 for 2018 to qualify as a sponsor so you might be ok.  please feel free to contact me directly for any additional assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption