Can my sister legally give me her inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my sister legally give me her inheritance?

My mother recently passed and she did have a Will naming me and my sister

beneficiaries. My mother has 2 life insurance policies, a money market account

and a home which we are planning to sell. For personal and financial reasons, my sister does not have her own bank account and will not be getting one – she was supported by our mother and I will be essentially taking over that role. We will be getting the life insurance payouts soon. Can she sign the checks over to me and I deposit them into my bank account without issue? Is that considered

Asked on August 29, 2018 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can endorse or sign the checks over to you, but if you put them into your own account, that will be considered gifting and will have tax consequences. You may wish to consider having her open up an account over which you will have signing, etc. authority, so you can have some authority or control the money but it will not go into your own personal account; or you can set up a trust for her, open a trust bank account, and she can put the checks into that. If you are the trustee, you will again control the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption