Can one owner kick her guest out of their residence if the other owner does not agree?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can one owner kick her guest out of their residence if the other owner does not agree?

Earlier this year my father-in-law passed away. Before his death, a quit claim

deed was recorded, giving my wife and her sister rights to the house. For the

past 4 years my father-in-law’s brother lived with him rent free. My sister-in-

law decided to move into the house. She is now threatening to kick his brother

out of the house. Can she legally do this if my wife, who is also on the deed,

does not agree to this?

Asked on August 17, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, she cannot do this, so long as the other owner allows the guest to reside there: both owners have equal rights to allow guests to use, occupy, etc. the home, and so long as one of them permits the guest, he may stay. If both decide to remove him, then he'd have to go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption