Can my roommate’s bank account be frozen for my debt?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my roommate’s bank account be frozen for my debt?

My bank account was frozen for debt in my name only. Can my roommate’s bank account be frozen for my debt also, since we have the same address? My name is not on his account and his name is not on any of my debt.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your own bank account been "frozen" or for want of a better word, "levied upon" it is because there is most likely a judgment against you from a lawsuit and the judgment creditor is trying to get moneys from you to pay off the judgment that you owe.

If your roommate has no judgment against him or her and if his or her name is not on any bank accounts that you have, then the roommate's bank accounts would not be subject to any proceedings concerning the judgment against you and would not be able to be "frozen".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption