Can my roommate evict me if I’ve been paying rent on time every month?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my roommate evict me if I’ve been paying rent on time every month?

I’ve been in this apartment with her for a year now and I just recently found out that she never put me on the lease at all. She’s been stealing from me and just causing me problems since I moved in. Recently she was short on her part of the rent so she asked me for an extra $200 which I was going to give her. However before I could she stole it from me- and is now saying that if I don’t give it to her by tomorrow, I will have 24 hours to move my stuff out of the apartment.

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Guy Kirkpatrick

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like you are not on the lease and don't have a sublet agreement with her.  All real estate matters must be writing.  Hand shakes and verbal contracts are problematic.  With that in mind, I'm not sure how she can evict you.  You should ask for all your money back.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption