Can my rent be increased mid-lease because I am expecting a baby this month?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my rent be increased mid-lease because I am expecting a baby this month?

I am having a baby this month and my landlord just found out and wants to increase the rent because I am adding another person to the apartment. I feel that since it’s an infant I shouldn’t have to pay more. My lease is up this summer.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract; while it is in force, neither party may change its terms or conditions. (Or more accurately: neither party may change its terms or conditions without the consent or agreement of the other, so in theory you could agree to pay more, if the landlord somehow convinced you it was fair or appropriate to do so.) Therefore, unless the lease itself has some clause or paragraph which would allow rent to be increased if the number of people in the household increase, the landlord may not raise the rent. Of course, when the lease is up, the landlord may seek an increase for any renewal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption