can my probation officer control where i live and who i live with?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my probation officer control where i live and who i live with?

My po gave me 2 weeks to move out because he says my boyfriend is detrimental to
my probation. Thing is my boyfriend has no criminal record and I can’t see a reason
for this. What can I do? Neither of us has anywhere else to live

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most probations have a condition with a generic clause to the effect that you cannot be around people of "disreputable character."  If your probation officer has determined that your boyfriend is a bad character, then the probation oficer can insist that you no co-habitate with him.  If you do not agree with that determination, then you need to file a motion with the court to contest that determination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption