Can my probation officer keep me from getting married to someone with no criminal record?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my probation officer keep me from getting married to someone with no criminal record?

My probation officer basically hates the world, and objects to pretty much anything anyone ever does. I’m looking to get married next year, and haven’t even mentioned it to her because she’s already expressed her distaste for both me and my relationship. My fiance has never been in any kind of trouble but because he’s younger than me, we met on the internet (but have had an ongoing relationship and are now living together). She’s already unhappy. Is there any recourse if I marry him without telling her beforehand or can she somehow prevent this?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Family Law, Montana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

She cannot prevent your marriage period. If you are under probation, the only thing she can control are the conditions of probation and whether any of your actions break the law. If this person is younger than you but legal, then there is really nothing getting in your way. My thought would be to wait until your probation is over and you have completed all conditions, then you would not have to deal with and your future spouse would not have to deal with unannounced intrusions into your household. You want to make sure you do not place this person in jeopardy of being harassed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption