Can my private residence be searches by someone else’s probation officer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my private residence be searches by someone else’s probation officer?

I rent a room from a lady and there is
another guy that rents another room
there, he is on state probation. They
came to do a home visit for him today
while I wasn’t home and they told the
home owner that if she didn’t let them
search the rooms there would be
trouble. So they searched my private
room that I pay rent for without me
being there. That doesn’t seem right
at all. What are my rights here? I’m
not on probation I havnt broken the
law how can they search my private

Asked on May 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This was illegal: the homeowner has no right to allow a search of your private room without providing advance notice (typically 24 hours) of the search or inspection. Only in the event of an emergency (e.g. a leak or fire that must be addressed; a tenant medical emergency) can a landlord access, or let others access, your space without proper notice. You pay the landlord for poossession--or use and control--of your space; she is obligated to honor that, if and if you suffered some loss due to this (something broken or stolen) you could sue the homewner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption