Can my previous employer hold my check because they state they never recieved a copy of my SSN or ID

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my previous employer hold my check because they state they never recieved a copy of my SSN or ID

So I worked for a small bridal shop for a while, I
know for a fact I gave the manager a copy of
my ID and Social Secutiry Card- now I’m trying
to get the check they owed which was for
Hourly pay and commission from sales I made.

Asked on July 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

They can hold the check until they get the information they need to process it and its taxes (withholding, etc.); but once they have that information, they must pay. Call their bluff; provide a new copy of this information, and send it some way you can prove delivery. If they don't pay you then, contact the state department of labor--they may be able to help you. If the dept. of labor cannot or will not help, you'd be in good shape then to sue (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ["pro se"] to save on legal fees) for the money, since if you can show you provided the information they need, they'd have no valid reason to not pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption