Can my past employers ban me from visiting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my past employers ban me from visiting?

I worked at a facility that is home to mentally challenged residents. My employer bans all employees who do not put in a 2 week notice before quitting and those who are fired. This

means we cannot visit the residents with whom we have built connections with. Is this legal?

Asked on January 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your ex-employer can legally ban you from visiting your former work permises. The fact is that absent some form of legally actionable discrimination or retaliation, an employer can institute a ban on certain former employees from entering onto a private (or sometimes even public) premises. To violate such a restriction can result in the criminal charge of tresspass. Accordingly, unless you are afforded protection against this under the terms of an employment agreement or union contract, you cannot re-enter your former place of business (at least not without your ex-employer's permission).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption