Can my parents sell me their property for $1 to protect them from losing it if they were hospitalized?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my parents sell me their property for $1 to protect them from losing it if they were hospitalized?

I also want to build a home on a piece of their property and would not be able to get a loan to do that if it was not in my name.

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For your parents to sell their property to you for $1.00 could cause a lot of issues such as tax issues and claims by possible creditiors that the "sale" was a fraudulent transfer without adequate consideration to you.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney where you enter into a contract to buy the property for a realistic amount in writing where your parents carry a promissory note secured by a mortage or trust deed on the property for the purchase price. Each year your parents can gift you $13,000 each from the promissory note under the Internal Revenue Service regulations ($26,000) yearly tax free.

The above suggestion might allow you and your parents to accomplish what you seem to desire without possible tax issues or claims by creditors.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption