Can my parents legally force me to hand over the car that is in both of our names?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my parents legally force me to hand over the car that is in both of our names?

My grandparents gave me my car for free as a gift. The car/insurance is in my name and my parents’, but I’m not sure who is the primary. If I move out and take the car, is there any situation in which they can legally make me give it back?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The issue that you have to acertain is in whose name is the registered title to the vehicle that you are driving that your grandparents gave you? If title is in your name, then you are the legal owner regardless of in whose name the insurance for it is in.

If you move out of your parents' home and the car is not in your name but your parents' name, they have the legal right to demand the car back from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption