Can my new employer change my work schedule in a way that violates my employment contract

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my new employer change my work schedule in a way that violates my employment contract

Started a new job on Monday that included in my employment contract a four day schedule and allowed working at home. New Link Destination
day I was informed that I had to work five days and no work at home becuase my written agreement included a ‘subject to change’ clause. Do I have any recourse other than to resign? I terminated my former position last week to accept this job based on the agreed to schedule.

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the agreement did not have a  "subject to change" clause, they could not alter or change it without your consent or agreement. But if the agreement contains a clause or provision that allows the employer to change it, then they can: they can do what the contract allows them to do by its plain terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption