Can my neighbor sure me for water draining into their yard after I had my yard graded?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my neighbor sure me for water draining into their yard after I had my yard graded?

We built a new house a month ago. We noticed our backyard held some water so we had to professionally graded. They just evened out the yard flush with the house. Now my neighbor is complaining saying that we either need to A pay for her yard to get fixed or B she will file a lawsuit against us. Mind you that there is no structure or pile of dirt laid to force natural water to run into her yard, it was that our yard is now even. The yard she is complaining about backyard has not even been cut, even before we began to build, its nearly 4 foot tall.

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your neighbor can sue you for nuisance which is the unreasonable interference with the use or enjoyment of her property.  It does not matter that the weeds in her yard are four feet tall.
A lawsuit for damages (monetary compensation) would not be an effective remedy because the water coming from your property is an ongoing problem which would result in multiple lawsuits and because land is unique.  Her remedy would be an injunction to have you stop the water from running off your property onto hers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption