Can my mother steal money from my account if her name was on it as a -cosigner but she forgedmy signature ona check?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mother steal money from my account if her name was on it as a -cosigner but she forgedmy signature ona check?

I am a 17 years old. My mother has stolen every check I have received from my employer and has taken the money. She is a co-signer on the account and so has the right to take money out. However I never saw the checks and I know for a fact that she forged my signature to cash them. She has taken over $2,300 from me over the course of 4 months and I have recently opened a new bank account so she will be unable to do so again. I want to know if there’s any action I will be able to take against her?

Asked on February 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


Robert Stiles / Robert K. Stiles, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Call the police and report your mother.  You can also sue her civilly in small claims court so long as the amount owed is less than $7,000.00.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption