Can my mother’s POA cancel life insurance policies if he was told to continue paying on them?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mother’s POA cancel life insurance policies if he was told to continue paying on them?

My brother is my mother’s POA. Prior to being appointed such, she had a guardian ad litem through the probate court. She was paying on her life ins policies and he was told to continue doing that. He did not, however, continue to pay on them. Is there anything I can do regarding this?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the current sibling has a valid power of attorney (POA) with respect to your mother you need to carefully read its terms and conditions in that the power of attorney controls the duties of the attorney in fact for your mother.

If your brother was advised through court order via the probate court to continue paying on life insurance policies of your mother he needs to abide by the court order. If your mother has requested payment on these life insurance policies the attorney in fact should abide by her wishes unless there is no real advantage to continue with the payments from an economic standpoint.

For example, the benefits of the existing policies may not warrant continued payments for them.

The best way to resolve the issue is to sit down and speak with your brother about your concerns. Perhaps he has a reasonable explanation for his acts.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption