can my manager cut my hours because another manager does not like me?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my manager cut my hours because another manager does not like me?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid so.  Under the legal rule called "employment at will," not liking you is a good enough reason to fire you, or cut your hours, and in fact the employer doesn't need a reason at all.  They only have to avoid illegal reasons, like racial discrimination or retaliation for filing a workers compensation claim, and a few other things of that general nature.

Your question doesn't mention any, but if you have facts that might show some sort of illegal discrimination or retaliation, you should talk to an experienced labor and employment attorney in your area as soon as possible.  One place you can find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption