Can my lawyer keep my money?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my lawyer keep my money?

I was going to file bankruptcy. Paid a filing fee and $750 retainer fee, I decided not to file. Lawyer says I can have my filing fee back, but not the $750. He has done no work b/c I never did the required paperwork. Can he do that?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I suggest writing a nice letter to the lawyer explaining that you hired him and that you subsequently decided not to have him perform the services he was hired for.  As him to send you a bill itemizing the work he performed.  this way he will have to justify what he did for you. this is when you obtain a copy of the file after he sends you the bill to look in the file to see what if any he did.   i would then write a letter to the grievance committee in KY about his conduct if he fails to return your money assuming he did not do any work. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption