Can my landlord use my security deposit to fill the oil tank?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord use my security deposit to fill the oil tank?

I recently moved out from a house that I have rented for the last 5 years (month-to-month). I asked for my deposit back which was $1,000 and they told me they would give $400 since I left the oil tank on a quarter and it needed to be filled. I do not recall if the tank was full or not. Can they do this? Also, should I be getting interest on my deposit?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your lease in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by your former landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Read the provision concerning the use of your security deposit by the landlord. If it does not state it can be used for heating oil upon move out, it cannot. Most security deposit provisions require the deposit be only used for damages to the unit upon move out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption