Can my landlordevict me from an apartment because I am a sex offender?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlordevict me from an apartment because I am a sex offender?

I was recently released from prison after serving all my time and have my parole, etc. All I have to do is register 1x a year. My husband and our 4 boys live in an apartment. I used to live here before I went to jail and was still a sex offender. Now, the landlord filed a no trespass order against me saying I am not allowed on the property. We have no lease as it is an oral lease. Is this legal for him to do since my husband and kids are living there?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you landlord is evicting you solely because you are a registered sex offender the eviction is improper by the landlord. All registered sex offenders have paid their due to society and are entitled to have a place to live assuming that he or she can abide by the terms of the written or oral lease with the landlord.

I recommend that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption