can my landlord legally have her daughter take care of the house and give her access to a bank account that i am suppose to deposit my rent into?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my landlord legally have her daughter take care of the house and give her access to a bank account that i am suppose to deposit my rent into?

my land lord is out of comission due to surgery. our roof is leaking and heater and aircondditioner have been broken for weeks. she called nad told me she is “turning over the house to her daughter and i am suppose to deposit the money into a bank account that her daughter has control of. can she legally do this.? I want to break my 2 year lease and the landlord said i could but now her daughter is telling me i cant and her mother(the landlord) doesnt know what she is talking about. Is this legal?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to an attorney in your area who is familiar with landlord-tenant law, who can give you sound advice after getting all of the facts of your case.  I'm sure there's more!  One place you can find a qualified lawyer is our website,

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with paying your rent by depositing it into that account.  But in many states -- and I'm not a Colorado lawyer -- that would be seen as a favor you're doing for the landlord, and you'd be within your rights to pay the rent in the way the lease requires.  I'm assuming it's in writing, because in many states a lease for more than one year must be, to be valid.

Leaking roof, not heat or air conditioning, it can't continue.  Your attorney can tell you how best to force your landlord -- or his daughter or wife or whoever -- to get this fixed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption