Can my landlord keep my security deposit for a broken garage door used by all tenants because one of them claims that my boyfriend admitted to breaking it?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord keep my security deposit for a broken garage door used by all tenants because one of them claims that my boyfriend admitted to breaking it?

My previous land lord sent me a letter stating that she was keeping my security deposit of $950 to pay for a garage door that is broken and and the motor of the gargage door opener blew out. She is going on the word of a former tenant that moved out without giving her notice and who claimed that my boyfriend admitted to breaking the larger overhead door because we did not have our garage door opener. The landlord stated that it would cost more than $1000 to pay for the door and she was not paying for it out of her pocket. The garage is used by everyone in the building for different reasons.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord may only withhold the security deposit for damage done by a tenant or the tenant's guests. The landlord needs to be able to establish that you or  your boyfriend did the damage; if she cannot, she needs to return the money. If she will not return it voluntarily, you could sue her (such as in small claims court) for its return; she will have the opportunity in court to present any evidence or testimony establishing that your boyfriend did the damage--though the testimony of  former tenant would be heresay and inadmissible, unless she brings the tenant in to testify. You on the other hand, will be able to present your own testimony that you and your boyfriend did not do the damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption