Can my landlord raise my rent 4 days before it’s due?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord raise my rent 4 days before it’s due?

My rent started at $625 a month due to my income. After 2 years I received notice my rent was reduced to $315 a month (income had decreased by about $7000 a year due to losing unemployment). After 6 months of $315 rent, I re-certified and was told my income was above the limit and my rent was being raised to original $625 with only 4 days before the rent is due. Landlord says that because I didn’t notify her about making more income (which is a lie, we are making $7000 less a year) she is not required to give 30 day notice. Is this legal? And what can I do?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for your landlord to raise your rent four (4) days before it is due. However, whether such is contractually permissible depends what your written contracts states. As such, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa.

If your lease is part of governmental housing, I suggest that you have a meeting with your representative with the housing agency. As to notice requirements for starting the rent increase, most leases contain a provision requiring at least a 30 day notice if the lease is on a month-to-month basis. If the lease is for a set term, then the landlord should not be able to contractually raise the rent under the terms of the written lease.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption