Can my landlord have a third party bill me for repairs?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord have a third party bill me for repairs?

I broke the glass out of my front door, slamming it trying to get the dead bolt to engage that “he” installed about a year ago. It has never worked properly and he was not happy with it, but the door is 100+ years old. I couldn’t use the back without wading through mud, which he knows. I advised what happened and that it would be fixed by the weekend. His wife offered to have someone come in and give me an est to fix. I came home and the door was fixed and a $165bill was on my dining room table.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems as though that since you broke the glass on the front door of the unit you are renting and the landlord had a third party fix the damage, the third party who made the repairs can leave a bill for you and expect that you pay it.

I suggest that you carefully read the presumed written lease that you have with your landlord. Most likely there is a provision within it regarding repairs and whose responsibility the repairs will be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption