Can my landlord give the keys to my apartmentto a friend or relative of theirs for a building fire inspection?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord give the keys to my apartmentto a friend or relative of theirs for a building fire inspection?

Landlord did give a 24 hour notice but they were not present at any point in time.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A landlord is *not* obligated to personally do all the work--inspections, maintenance, showing the premises, etc.--but instead may either hire someone to do it for him or delegate the role to someone else.

Of course, that person is subject to the all the same requirements as the landlord in conducting the inspection (or performing maintenance, etc.), such as proper notice, only during reasonable hours, etc. And if the person either deliberately or negligently causes injury or loss to you (e.g. steals something from your apartment; forgets to lock up or loses the keys, so someone else can come in and steal; etc.), then both the landlord and the person who acted in his or her stead could be liable to provide compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption