Can my landlord convert my1 lease renewal into a month-to-month rental agreement?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord convert my1 lease renewal into a month-to-month rental agreement?

Can I stop him? He offered the lease to me on and I tendered a signed copy back with the first month’s rent the next day. Then 5 days later, he returned the lease unsigned by him but not the check. The lease had “void” written all over it and a month-to-month lease with new additional terms added. Is this legal or was my tendering of the signed lease and check effective in creating a lease that he can’t break now?

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In contract terms you have what is known as an offer and an acceptance.  There are certain other factors that need to be addressed but I think that you may have a shot.  The only real issue is the fact that he did not sign the lease - which is big.  But he tendered it and I think that may be enough to enforce the terms.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption