What can a landlord charge you for after you move out?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can a landlord charge you for after you move out?

My landlord said he was charging us a full month’s rent for our final month, despite the fact that we’d only be there for 20 days (when our lease ended). When we moved in (where we only lived there for 10 days of the month), it was prorated.Then my landlord charged us $320 to repaint our bedrooms. We asked specifically when we were touring the apt if we could paint and an employee told us we could paint. Our lease says we won’t be charged for prepping for new tenants and we’ve been there over 2 years, yet we’re being charged full price to repaint? Seems shady. Can he gouge us like this?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the costs of paint for the unit that you rented assuming the painting resulted from normal wear and tear per your question should be absorbed by the landlord. Likewise you should be reimbursed a portion of the full month of rent you paid if you gave proper notice of move out and still paid for a full month and time that you did not reside in the unit.

I would write the former landlord a demand letter for the return of the $320, interest on it and the portion of your rent that you have written about. If not paid by a certain date, your legal recourse would seem to be small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption