Can my job deduct money from my check for overpaying me which i had no knowlegde of.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my job deduct money from my check for overpaying me which i had no knowlegde of.

On October 19th I was overpaid which I
had no knowledge of until today
December 27th. I went to work and was
handed a paper saying 619 will be
taken out my check tomorrow which only
about 700 to begin with.

Asked on December 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot take money from your paycheck without your consent or a court order (such as court-ordered wage garnishment). However, you do owe them the money: the law is clear that if you are overpaid by mistake, that mistake does not entitle you to keep the money, but rather, you must return it. Therefore, while the way they are recovering the money is wrong, they are definitely entitled to it. That means you best option may be to let them have it: for example, if you were to sue (e.g. in small claims court) for the money they took from your check, they could counterclaim for what you owe due to the overpayment, and you will net out the same place (they'd have to give you the $619, then you'd have to give it back to them). There is no way for you keep the $619; it's only a matter of who and when they get it back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption