Can my job choose to postpone payment of services already rendered?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my job choose to postpone payment of services already rendered?

I worked several extra days and turned in the appropriate paperwork on time to add the wages to my paycheck. I was told they did not have time to add it to my check and I would see it on the next check. We are paid once a month so I will not get my money until the 10/01 when it should have been paid on 08/30. Is it legal for them to hold my money until the next pay period?

Asked on September 5, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you turned in the paperwork and provided all necessary information by the last day of that pay period--i.e. by when payroll information is supposed to be turned in--then yes, you should have been paid with that next check. HR does not get to "choose" to delay the payment. 
But frustrating as this is, there really is no good remedy for you: any legal action you can take, besides damaging the relationship with your employer, will take longer than to your next pay period (longer than a month): that is, it will not actually get you the money earlier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption