Can my husband use abandonment if I move out with the kids, while he stays to sell our house?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband use abandonment if I move out with the kids, while he stays to sell our house?

I want to leave my marriage with my 2 children. Not enough money for a divorce, and legal aid is out. Can my husband say I abandoned the marriage or the house if I leave?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Texas recognizes fault and no-fault grounds for divorce.  Abandonment is one of the grounds and here is the definition for the purposes of this questions:

The court may grant a divorce in favor of one spouse if the other spouse: (1) left the complaining spouse with the intention of abandonment; and (2) remained away for at least one year.

So yes, if you left the house with the intent of leaving the marriage and stayed away for a year he could try and use it.  But if this is amicable the no-fault way is the way to go.  I am just guessing that it is not amicable.  What concerns me here are the children and that he will say that you took them away from him.  That is never good.  You say  legal aid is out but what about your local bar association?  They often have pro bono programs.  There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed and this forum is not the place to give a full evaluation of a case.  Please get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption